When Christmas overshadows your birthday

by Samuel Abbas | sports editor

As Sydney Allison sits under the Christmas tree with only half of her presents, she remembers her birthday is four days after Christmas and she will receive her other presents along with a birthday cake on December 29.

“December 29 is my birthday and I don’t like it being close to Christmas. I think I receive fewer presents because they’ll [parents] put a budget on everybody’s Christmas presents, but then my budget will be including Christmas and birthday,” sophomore Sydney Allison said.

Depending on their parents, students may receive less or more presents based on where their birthday falls on the calendar. In the later part of the year near the holidays, could be in the giving spirit and students may receive more presents.

“Honestly I’m kind of a really spoiled person so my parents get me double. So it’s like I get Christmas and I get birthday presents so it’s kind of better,” junior Yoshyeli Rangel said. “I love my birthday being close to the holidays.”

With Christmas and birthdays jam packed into one week, it may be difficult for students to find time to fit everything in such a busy week. All students are on winter break from December 19- January 4 and they may find the off time useful in such busy weeks that for some includes Christmas and a birthday.

“There isn’t really enough time to fit everything in. But since we have time off from school, it makes it easier. But all my friends are away so it’s hard to plan a birthday party. So I can’t really have birthday parties since my birthday is over the break and close to Christmas,” Allison said.

Many people love their birthdays being close to Christmas but like all things it comes with a price. A week loaded with events may be stressful and hectic at times, but not if you’re in the Christmas spirit.

“My birthday is 2 days after Christmas,  December 27, and I love my birthday being close to Christmas because it’s my favorite holiday. Even though there’s really not enough time during that week, I just plan everything when it comes up and just plan things where they need to go,” Rangel said.