Why Alamo Drafthouse is the place for a week of thrills

by Sumner Strickland | staff writer

Alamo Drafthouse is home to some signature events that nobody has heard of, some for certain holidays, some for the film lovers in all of us.

Alamo Drafthouse is home to their own cinema club, where directors and filmakers come and discuss their films with an active audience.

For this month (and this month only) The Drafthouse hosts the horror remix, which is an event where they show three B-movie horror movies from the 70‘s and 80’s, but instead of a full triple feature they show all the good parts: such as gratuitous violence, explicit sex scenes and so on.Then there are a few other’s that are some what self explanatory such as “Girlie Night” “Tough Guy Cinema” and “Action Pack”. Another event held by the Drafthouse is the weekly “Music Monday” “Terror Tuesday” and “Weird Wednesday” where they go out of their way to show music related movies on mondays such as “This is Spinal Tap” and “Almost Famous”. Terror Tuesday speaks for itself; it’s a jamming of all possible horror movies into one specific event. Then Weird Wednesday is where they show some of the freakiest movies you’ll ever see such as, the low budget Roger Corman movies of the 60’s and 70’s featuring Pam Grear or a cheesy rip off version of King Kong. But the theaters most important event is the cinema club, where they play classic movies for an audience to afterwards discuss with each other. The hosts of the “Cinema Club” are filmmakers either from the area and or famous such as Richard Linklater, an Austin born filmmaker who has made some of the best movies of the last twenty years in my opinion, such as “Dazed and Confused”, “Before Sunrise”, “Waking Life” and many others.

These events are a great addition to have to the theaters in the area and turns the Alamo Drafthouse into a unique actual film loving theater that’s not caught up with what sells.