The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

Johnson students plan to impress this Halloween

Renee Delgado | Staff Writer

It’s Halloween night and Senior Ashley Montoya and her family are preparing for the creepiest night of the year with her family, mimicking the comedy television series ‘The Simpsons.’

With all of the seasonal stores around, students have a large selection to choose from for costumes this year.

“For Halloween I want to get my whole entire family to dress as the same thing, the Simpsons,” Senior Ashley Montoya said.

The Delgado family has each costume planned to the last detail.

“So my mom would be Marge, my brother would be Bart, my dad would be Homer and I’d be Lisa. We’d all paint ourselves yellow and our hair could be all standing up, blue for my mom. I want to put mine into cones so that I’ll look like Lisa. It’s gonna be really great.”

Some students, such as senior Jack McFarland, have decided on  a solo route with a creative 80’s idea in which he compares himself to the actor Christian Bale in the 1998 hit,“Velvet Goldmine.”

“The costume is a combination of loose see-through mesh. The entire idea is to be a guy from the 80’s,” Farland said.

But the costume doesn’t stop with the clothes. Make up proves equally important.

“There will be tons of face makeup.  We’re going to have the Mike Tyson face tattoo and everything. Then, we’re going to glitter our bodies and do our hair like David Bowie,”Farland said.

Princesses are thought of as elegant, high-class women, but sophomore Xiarissa Consunji is redefining the idea of a ‘perfect’ Disney princess.

“I decided for Halloween I’m going to go as Cinderella with a bunch of shotguns on my back, like a zombie cinderella… I’m just gonna buy a regular dress and then shoot it up myself,” Consunji said.

Consunji took a comical approach to the traditionally princess costume, but her reasoning proves a more realistic look at the lives of the princesses we once loved.

“Do you remember way back when, when everyone watched Disney Princess movies and it was the greatest thing ever because you wanted to be a princess when you grew up. Then, you grew up and you decided you didn’t want to be a princess because they lived terrible lives…So, I think that this costume is going to be really great,” Consunji said.