The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

New course presents their first broadcast episode

by Mac Paquette & Sam Abbas

With the passing of House Bill 5, new courses have found their way onto the  NEISD course card and one of these is the newest journalism elective – broadcast.  Students in this new course are learning the proper techniques to create a show using sound journalistic principles.

“It’s really fun, I like to go to football games, and being able to tie that into a class and all make it entertaining,” freshman Jack West said.

Aside from covering campus news, the students are also taught about the technology and editing needed to put together various media packages.

“Learning the technology is really helpful, it also is something I’m interested in pursuing in college,” West said.

On the news side of the class, it also introduces students to the responsibilities and the techniques of a news anchor, and how a news production comes alive.

“I joined because I want to become a news anchor or co-anchor, and the class really gives me an opportunity to see if I enjoy this type of work,” freshman Macie Mackey said.

The broadcast students are hoping to present a show every two weeks that will be posted on this site and hopefully airing during Flex period as well. Shows will present feature stories and sports highlighting campus and community news.