The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

Lady Jags look to deliver late season push

Softball huddles up

by Samuel Abbas | Sports Editor

Senior Erica Arguello in position for a ground ball.

With two games left on their schedule, the Lady Jags have maintained a steady pace throughout this undefeated season and look to carry their momentum into the upcoming playoff games in May.

“We have done pretty good this season and I think that we will finish the season strong and go into the playoffs hot after the end of our district games. I think we have a good chance to continue winning,” senior Erica Arguello said.

The Lady Jags have had a strong season so far and only have a few games left on their schedule before the playoffs. They feel they can make a deep playoff run if they stick to what they know.

“I think we have a really strong team and I think that we can make a strong push into playoffs. our team has been together for a while and I think if we can all play our best we can go far,” Arguello said.

Not like many other games softball is a game of failures. Sometimes people who play Softball may like failing, but it is necessary to fail in Softball in order to learn from their mistakes. It may not seem like the most intriguing to fail first at something but it’s just a part of being successful.

“Softball is a game of failures.  If you go one for three at the plate for a game, you’ve been successful. If you got a 33 on a quiz, that wouldn’t be considered successful. So learning to deal with successes and failures in our game sometimes is tough. Any time a team can gain confidence that momentum is sometimes unstoppable. The players have the skills and work hard everyday at practice but our game is tough mentally – so having confidence is the key to offset a game of failures,” Coach Jennifer Fox said.

Due to injuries and some rotational issues, the Lady Jags have been phenomenal especially considering how many people have been playing out of position or not in the rotation.

“As of late our softball team has been playing together as a team. We have had to move players into unfamiliar positions and they have responded with a competitive and willing attitude,” Fox said.

With many upperclassmen on the team who have played together for multiple years, the Lady Jags ranked first in the district have the ultimate goal in mind; a state championship. The Lady Jags believe they can accomplish this goal if they can maintain winning at a high level of competition.

“There is only one team that ends the year with years of joy instead of tears of disappointment and that is the state champion. We are taking this season one day at a time and enjoying the process instead of thinking about the outcomes. Only time will tell how our season ends,” Fox said.