The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

How much homework do you have?

After choosing classes for the upcoming year, we have to wonder what we’re getting into. What is the real difference between regular, Pre-AP, and AP classes? How much homework is there for each class? And how do people doing athletics continue to take these higher level classes?

Megan Murase is taking four AP classes this year, leaving little time for her to participate in activities after school or in her own life.

“I have a lot of homework. I have like 2 hours of it [per night]. I do gymnastics after school and I have to get there really late so I can do my homework and then I skip a day so I can I have a day to do homework,” junior Megan Murase said.

Freshman Patrick Gale also has two to three hours of homework every night as well as a dedication to a sport.

“I take all Pre-Ap classes and GT math. I’d also like to take AP History. I made the mistake on not taking AP this year,”  Gale said.

He balances club and Varsity soccer as well as his grades by just taking the extra time out of his day to really focus on homework. 

“On the weekends we usually have projects to do on the weekends in certain classes so I usually  have that in Math and Business and then of course I have make-up work for my last two classes for soccer games”

A lighter workload of regular classes is expected. On weekends, junior Joey Olson will have little to no homework at all.

“Maybe a single piece of paper (one worksheet) for maybe one or two subjects, usually no more than that,” Olson said.

Alvaro Velasquez takes five AP classes this year and expresses that it’s inconvenient to have to do worksheets as homework because of all the work they do in class.

“I think we shouldn’t have that much homework because we already do a lot in class and most of our homework in my opinion should be studying for tests but the worksheets we should really be doing them in class.” Velasquez said.