The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

Clear backpacks will not be required for the 2021-2022 school year

School board passed the new backpack requirement the night before the last day of school.

by Katie Barton | staff writer

Superintendent Sean Maika has announced that clear backpacks will no longer be required on NEISD campuses for the 2021-2022 school year. 

“The clear bag policy is going away for next year,” Principal Gary Comalander said. “Any regular backpack or clear backpack will be acceptable.”

Though clear backpacks are no longer required, rolling backpacks will still not be allowed. 

“So very similar to the rules to two and a half years ago, when we were allowing any backpacks,” Comalander said. “Rolling bags and stuff, no, there’s not going to be space for 3000 kids in the hallways for that.”

Clear bags will still be required at off-campus NEISD events.

“Event locations like football stadiums, athletic guest places, other events off campus that are Northeast, they are going to still require a clear bag policy,” Comalander said.

NEISD has had a clear bag policy for the past two years as a way to increase students safety on campus. However, research suggests that there is no connection between students safety and clear bags.  

“A lot of research over the last two years,” Comalander said. “They haven’t seen that a clear bag made a difference of whether or not something was or was not found.”

Many students also see this as a welcome change.

“I feel like it is about time. Those clear backpacks didn’t really do anything,” sophomore Elizabeth Eckles said. “I am excited to have normal backpacks again.”