Student Council hosts annual Toys4Tots charity drive

by Mia Lopez | staff writer

Student Council is currently hosting their annual Toys4Tots charity drive with the help of the JROTC cadets. 

Multiple donation boxes are set up throughout the school including in the Jag Shack, in the entry foyer and the athletics wing.

“We’re helping out because we’re one of the drop off sites for the Toys4Tots. The overall folks in charge of that are the student council so we’re just helping out, ”JROTC instructor Thomas Grogget said. 

The Student Council has been doing this charity drive for about 5 years now and it won’t be their last year either. 

“We’re going to do it again next year. We do it every year,” English teacher Kristine Rogers said.

Last year, the campus collected at least 600 toys.

“We want to collect a thousand toys,” Rogers said. “The reason we increased our number this year is because we are also partnering with Tejada and Tex Hill with their Student Council and their dance program.” 

JROTC is required to do service learning and helping with Toys4Tots is only part of that curriculum throughout the year. 

“Part of the JROTC curriculum is also service learning so we count on the students in the JROTC classes to come up with ideas and other things,” Grogget said.

If students want to donate, the last day to do so is this Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Winter Wonderland event. 

“These kids have the means to give back, have the ability to give back, have the desire to give back and this gives them an easy place to do that,” Rogers said.