Water polo ends first year in sweet sixteen

Captain+Colin+Stewart+lead+his+team+to+playoffs.+
Evie Wang
Captain Colin Stewart lead his team to playoffs.

Water Polo season comes to an end after fourth round of playoffs.

“As a team, we’ve just grown so much closer and it’s more like a family now,” Kaitlyn Adams said, “and so we’re, we work well together and I think that’s the key to winning the game.”

Both teams had a strong season and made it into the fourth round of playoffs against Brennan and Clark.

“Looking forward to seeing how we’ve improved against these teams and looking forward to the results,” Adams said, “and hopefully, we’ll see some improvement and good outcomes.”

Unfortunately, the varsity boys water polo team lost their game against Clark High School by a score of 7-23. Girls Water Polo lost their game against Brennan High School by a score of 8-9.

“I feel like we know what we’re doing as a team,” Adams said, “and like our personal performances have been so much better.”

For girls water polo Reese Robinson leaded with 109 goals and Valerie Hosper leaded with 26 assists this season. In boys water polo team captain Colin Stewart leaded with 115 goals and 50 assists.

Reese Robinson leaded with 109 goals this season.  photo by Aubrey Tarbox

“It’s been going good, you know, we all have our off games but, like I said, we understand it now and know what’s happening and it makes it easy to know how to improve it,” Adams said. 

This season the girls water polo got ranked 66th and have 16 wins, 7 losses, and 1 tie. Guys water polo is ranked 237th with 13 wins and 12 losses. 

“There’s only like three teams in our district that are actually doing it,” Adams said. 

This is the first year that water polo has become a UIL sport. Letters were written by the team captains, coach, and the team moms so it could become a UIL sport since the committee has to have a unanimous vote.

“Coach Nelson, worked with our team manager, Janet Stewart and they both helped to make it a UIL sport, he went through a lot of money and a lot of conferences and phone calls and eventually, Coach Nelson got it to where we could play it as a UIL sport,” Adams said. “So it’s really all to him.

This is Kaitlyn Adam’s  year having Coach Nelson as her coach, she admires him and enjoys being a part of his team.

“I learned that teamwork is a really big thing and that it took a lot of people to make this happen and so we shouldn’t take that for granted,” Adams said. “So we have to work together as a team to keep the season going.”