The Academy offers students chance for credit recovery

On Jan. 13, students can head to the library for The Academy, where they will have the opportunity to work on credit recovery.

Parking and drop off must occur at the back/courtyard entrance. Snacks and computers will be available and attendance is not mandatory.

“So the academy is something we are able to run on Saturdays, if students qualify, so you have to be at risk of failing a class,” assistant principal Sara Moseley said.

Teachers can set up assignments on Edgenuity, which is why it is recommended that students check in with their teachers if they plan to attend.

“So we don’t want to keep any kids from going but you need to make sure you’re checking in with your teacher to make sure you have your recovery work, because they’re the ones that assign it,” Moseley said.

For credit recovery, students that failed with a 60 to 69 can make up by finishing assigned work instead of redoing the whole semester. 

“And it just depends, some students can have up to four classes in credit recovery. That’s really hard to do,” Moseley said. “But this allows that extra time with kind of some focused instruction to keep them on task.”

The Academy does not happen every weekend or even at set months.

“And so when we have the funds and we have specific times of year, we set up academies to try to help students regain credits or get caught up with work or prep for tests,” Moseley said.

Additionally, students don’t have to worry about spending a specific amount of time on their work or at The Academy, they just need to focus on completing their assignments.

” It’s not a specific amount of hours, but usually there’s a deadline about two to three weeks out the teachers give,” Moseley said. “And going on Saturdays just helps get five hours of work done that they might finish it all in one set.”

According to her, this program was added after Covid to help students that struggled from not being able to learn in-person.

“I just think it’s a great opportunity because sometimes when kids for any reason go home and you know, get distracted, or there’s a lot of distractors- this is a great time to just sit someplace quiet,” Moseley said.