PVSA sets record year with volunteer hours

by Olivia Gomez. Staff Writer |

With faculty sponsors of The President’s Volunteer Service Award, Mrs. Lynn Jedow and Mrs. Robin Philbrick have truly made this years’ PVSA award an outstanding one at that.

“Last year we only had 37 students receiving the PVSA award with 6,883 hours and this year we made a large jump to 147 students and 10 parents with a told of 32,000 hours,” Philbrick said.

The PVSA is a high standing award that is nationally recognized by colleges and schools in general around the country.

“It looks great on your resume or college application, it doesn’t come from us, it comes from The White House; it’s impressive,” Philbrick said.

Not only is the PVSA a nationally recognized award it is also a self-rewarding award in itself.

“The PVSA award recognizes volunteers who consistently take the time to make a difference in the lives of others.”

The PVSA is purely based on service hours that are accumulated throughout a year, have different levels of achievement, and are presented to it’s recipients at a ceremony at the end of the year.

“This year we had 50 gold medal awards (100+ hours for freshmen) (250+ for sophomore- seniors), 22 silver medal awards (75-99 hours for freshmen) (175-249 hours for sophomore-seniors), and 65 bronze (50-74 hours for freshmen)(100-174 hours for sophomore-seniors) as well as 10 parents receiving awards,” Philbrick said.

“For students interested in the PVSA award will be able to start logging hours for the 2010-2011 year, they can start logging their hours May 1st on the PVSA website <www.presidentialserviceawards.gov> and will be able to complete them by April 30th of 2011.”