The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

The Harry Potter Hangover: So long, Harry. We’ll miss you the most.

by Melissa Smith | Arts and Entertainment Editor
It is 3 in the morning and I’m still in shock that Harry Potter is over.
The day has finally come, the day that the devoted fans of Harry Potter have eagerly anticipated for nearly their entire lives is here. My childhood consisted of reading the books, practically devouring them each within days. Never have I loved a series so much, and never will anything matchup to them.
The books gave me my first spark of imagination. I even recall, as a child, wanting to be a witch myself. I longed to have magical powers like them, be in Ravenclaw, and to go to Diagon Alley to fetch my school books and pick out my wand and to go to the giant bank. Dorky and silly, I’m aware, but I hoped for it all to be true.
Now, with the books all written and the movies all made, all there is left to do is to reminisce and to be thankful for what made my childhood so magical. Sadly, I will never feel the joy of expecting something new, like Voldemort coming back to life or Hogwarts being under attack by death eaters or…let’s just say anything unexpected.
But that’s okay. With each ending there is a new beginning. Who knows what the death of the series will be but it will bring about a new life that we might not see for a long time.
But, Harry Potter has taught me that patience is indeed a virtue, since I did have to wait a lot of dang time for either a new book or a movie to be released.
I’m not a crazy, die-hard fan for Harry Potter like some people who like to dress up as the characters at premieres, but it doesn’t mean I don’t love it as they do. Yes, I showed up to the premiere tonight in a white v-neck and shorts but just because I don’t show my excitement certainly doesn’t mean I don’t feel it. It’s weird – everyone there tonight-though they didn’t realize it-had this weird bond because they just all believe that Harry Potter is, well, amazing. Whether it’s because of the mystical characters, mysterious story-line, or for guys, Emma Watson, they can all agree that it’s a great thing.
My conclusion is, if someone says they don’t like Harry Potter, they’re lying. If they really don’t like Harry Potter, then they lack the imagination to truely embrace and come to love it as millions have already done.

View Comments (4)