Biopics and indie hits highlight latest album offerings

Lana del Rey and other artists are releasing albums in January.

By Ivey McDaniel| Staff Writer

This week has been big for artists. Many are releasing anticipated albums to start the year off on a high note.

Snow Patrol's latest album, Fallen Empires, takes their music in a new direction.

Fallen Empires, Snow Patrol

Released Jan. 10

Debuting their sixth album, Snow Patrol is taking a new spin on their music. Disregarding the depressing melodramatic lyrics and melodies, they’re changing their style to something a little more upbeat, and electric. The most popular song on the album is “Called Out of the Dark”, which delivers a sound that resembles a music baby conceived from Coldplay, Phil Collins, and Matt Kearny. The album is one of the top sellers on iTunes this week. Although there are some bubbly tracks on the album, the band can be heard drifting back to the same slow, rather dreary tunes, which made me want to cry and look out a window while I contemplate my life’s importance.

Rebelutation, Peace of Mind

Released Jan. 10

Peace of Mind is making me miss summer. This California-based reggae band is topping the charts this week with their easy sounds. The modern Bob Marley “esque” band keep everything very similar and mild-tempered. I would recommend listening to this on a long car drive to the beach or a backyard barbecue. The songs blend together, but are catchy, like a mellow Swayze. All the music on the album are feel good songs that will not to disappoint on your playlist this summer.

Lioness, Amy Winehouse

Released Dec. 6

Although released a month ago, Amy Winehouse’s “Lioness” is creating a lot of resurfaced buzz about the passed singer. The album includes original recordings, demos, and recent songs she was plaining on releasing before her untimely death. Seeing that I have all of her albums since her first release, “Frank”, I might be a little bias, but I love this album. My favorites include “Between the Cheats” and “Will you Still Love me Tomorrow?”, which are jazzy, punky, soulful tunes that are packed full of emotion.

Born to Die, Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey's "Born To Die" looks to impress.

To be released late Jan.

Uprising singer, Lana Del Ray plans to release her upcoming album, “Born to Die”. After a popular EP , Del Ray plans to sing on Saturday Night Live on Jan. 14. Despite the rather ominous title, Del Rey’s music resembles the styles of an earthy of Lily Allen or Fine Frenzy. So far, the more popular tracks on her EP include “Blue Jeans” and “Video Games”. Many are anticipating her big release and predicted rise on the charts.

Give us a Rest or (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest Key of All], David Crowder Band

Released Jan. 6

The top selling album this week on iTunes is the final album for the David Crowder Band. Originating in Texarkana, Texas, the band specialized in Christian rock music. Some of the most catchy songs include “Oh My God”, “Let Me Feel Your Shine”, and “Oh Great Love of God”. The band spotlights the banjo in some of their songs, giving them a country feel they’ve never had before. Their music focuses on ending their amazing career with final, and awe-inspiring ballads of worship.