New vending machines spread around campus

by Darius Davila| Staff Writer

“Ka-ching” is the sound of new vending machines rolling onto the Johnson scene, and many students are responding with an accepting morale.

“I think these new vending machines are great and make food very accessible,” junior Ben Valdez said.

However, some students are tired of the same old, same old vending machines and seek quality rather than quantity.

“It’s not that I want more vending machines, I just want to see a better variety of snacks such as new stuff or small candies,” senior Max Salmeron said.

New vending machines appear on campus and create a stir in the hallways.

Students believe that the new machines do more than just satisfy one’s hunger.

“I think the administration set up these new vending machines because they know that when someone’s hungry, they’re not going to focus on school, but when your hunger is satisfied, you’ll begin to focus on school and you become more attentive,” Valdez said.

Despite the mass popularity of the machines among students, some teachers believe that the school needs to do more to influence the students to eat healthier.

“Based on what I saw, the items in the new vending machines are high in caloric value. In a time when we need less calories, we need fruit vendors along with healthy foods to get the kids eating healthy,” teacher Gordon Brewer said. “However, I think it’s good in a way because it’s more accessible for students, and it brings in more financial revenue to better Johnson.”

Although there may be some theories traveling throughout the school about why Johnson has decided to bring in these new vending machines, their is a simple truth to the question.

“The new vending machines were brought in because we wanted to provide a more accessible way for students to get food, and so that students will get to class on time and spend less time out of class,” assistant principal Steven Zimmerman said.