Marathon moms plan to ‘Rock ‘n Roll’

Marathon moms plan to Rock n Roll

Claire Carter | Staff Writer

Post pregnancy is often associated with unwanted pounds and a lack of sleep caused by screaming newborns. But for two teachers at Johnson, post pregnancy is a time for motivation, determination and running. Simulcast teacher Amber Padilla and biology teacher Colleen Salazar have both recently had babies and are now planning on running the Rock ‘N Roll half marathon in early November.

“Although I haven’t participated in any traditional runs before, this will be my first half marathon,” Padilla said.

Padilla uses her children as her highest form of motivation. These little bundles of joy serve as her greatest cheerleaders.

“Every time I feel like giving up, I think of my kids at the end of the finish line cheering me on and then I know I just have to keep going,” Padilla said.

Runners use the marathon as a funnel for multiple things, ranging from cancer support to weight loss.

This determined mom decided to run the half marathon to lose weight and get back in shape in a fun way, with Salazar as her accountability partner.

“I really wouldn’t do this unless I had someone to run with, but since I have Mrs. Salazar to run with, I know it will be fun.”

Salazar has been training for four weeks for this lengthy run, and along with Padilla, her whole family will be running with her.

“I told my mom I was running the Rock ‘N Roll half marathon and she signed up the whole family. The kids will be waiting for us at the finish line, too. It’s gonna be really fun,” Salazar said.

Both ladies plan on running the whole way, keeping in mind their goal of losing baby weight and making their kids proud. This marathon will test their strength and ability to resist the temptation of stoping to walk, but in the end they know it will all be worth it.

“I’m doing this to prove something to myself, and I know I’ll be happy with the results,”  Padilla said.