Jags lose an overtime thriller to district rival Roosevelt

Zachary Cohen

Sports Editor

Johnson’s first ever overtime game ended in heartbreaking fashion when they fell short of topping the Roosevelt Rough Riders Friday night. With all the excitement of homecoming, and former players in attendance at Comalander Stadium, the Jags were unable to pick up their first win since week two.

In a game that featured only a combined six punts, there was a total of 749 yards and nine touchdowns scored. The high scoring game featured 85 rushing attempts as opposed to only 21 pass attempts. The Rough Riders had a great advantage in the running game, averaging 8.8 yards per rush.

Despite only ten pass attempts for the game, all of Johnson’s offensive touchdowns came through the air. Two of junior quarter quarterback Cohner Mokry’s three touchdown passes went to junior Sean Stier who improves his season total to four touchdowns.

The Jags, despite letting up a 75-yard touchdown run on the 2nd play from schrimige, fought and clawed their way back and took a 14-13 lead into the 4th quarter.

With a one point lead in the final period of play, the Jags defense let up a 45-yard touchdown pass followed by a successful 2 point try, and abruptly took the air right out of the Jaguars. However, in what seems to be a weekly occurrence, the Jags Zack Bradley took the ensuing kickoff 80 yards for a touchdown, thus tying the game at 21 with just over nine minutes left in regulation.

Just over one minute later, the Jags senior defensive lineman, Cody Gonzalez, recovered a fumble on the Roosevelt 26-yard-line that set Johnson up with a perfect chance to put more points on the board. The Jags did just that on the very next play when Mokry threw a corner pass in the back of the end zone to junior receiver Sean Stier. The play resulted in a 26-yard touchdown, and a Jaguar lead with 7:59 left to play.

Just when the Jags had all the momentum, the Roosevelt Rough Riders drove right down the field, and scored on a 23-yard touchdown pass the tied the game up with 2:53 left in the game.

With just under three minutes left in the game, the Jags Cohner Mokry lead the Jags onto the field to start their potential game-winning drive. With 27 seconds left in regulation and inside enemy territory, the Jags faced a 4th and 12; Trips left hail mary was the play call. Mokry dropped back, and slung a pass into the end zone which resulted in an incompletion and a turnover, giving the Rough Riders possession close to mid field. Fortunately for Johnson, Roosevelt ran out of time and the game went into overtime, tied at 28.

The Jags, who had  failed to gain ten yards in three plays, lined up for a field goal. In games like this, the pressure gets to some players, and that’s what seemed to happen to Johnson’s kicker Alek Den resulting in a missed field goal attempt. The Rough Riders took their shot next, and on a 3rd down from the 5 yard line, Quintin Sheffield ran through the Jag defense for the score, giving the Rough Riders a 35-28 win.

View Comments (2)