The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

Jag basketball looks to cross up the competition

by: Jason Sirovina | sports writer

Jag boys basketball team has stumbled out of the gate to a 4-5 record however this start may be just the remedy they need to motivate them to a playoff berth. As this season the Jags are on pace to have a better year than last as they had an 11-22 record. The team also has a new look this year with their cast of young talent.

The Johnson Jaguar basketball teams are working hard to achieve a successful season.

“The underclassmen bring a lot of enthusiasm and character to the team because of their eagerness to learn and desire to have a bigger role on the team,” junior Ian Miller said. “The youth on the team is a great source of energy for us and our future looks bright behind them,”.

Regardless of the inexperience on the team they still have a simple task at hand and that is to win. They are well aware of their environment and have been preparing to live up to the hype of a successful year.

“I want our rivals and competitors to know that we are here to win and we will never give up at any point throughout our season,” junior Christian Quintanilla said. “We won’t take our foot of the gas pedal because we have very high expectations for the season.”

As for the Lady Jags they are off to a hot start at a record of 8-3 which is a familiar spot for them due to their continuous success. They have continued to make progress as a whole because of their devotion to fitness.

“As a team, we have been practicing roughly 2.5 hours a day, usually for 6 days a week. This has improved our endurance and stamina when it comes to participating in games,” junior Ari Otto.

The Lady Jags have emphasized teamwork 24/7 and how different players have complementing techniques that allow them an edge every time they step on the court.

“I feel that everyone on the team has a definite skill set and that everyone is essential to our success. We are an overall solid team, but thing we need to do is elevate our court demeanor. That will allow us to slow down our offense and take our time while making decisions during the game,” Otto said.

Overall both of the Jag basketball teams are just pumped in their own way to get out on the court and get the most they can out of the game.

“I am looking forward to just being a part of the team, improving my basketball skills, and helping Johnson to be successful athletically,” Otto said.