Senior Jags conclude their 2010 season, high school playing career

Senior defensive linemen Evan Miller and Cody Gonzalez

By Zack Cohen | Sports Editor

The Jags will conclude their 2010 fall football season this Friday night when they take on the Lee Volunteers. The Jags are coming off of their first ever win against district rival Reagan and are looking to end a somewhat disappointing season on a high note.

Last week, the Jags picked up their first district win of the year when they beat the Rattlers by a final score of 28-21. Junior quarterback Cohner Mokry had his best game of the season, despite only having seven attempts. Mokry connected on over 85 percent of his passes and threw for three scores.

The Jags also got it done on the ground with senior running back Zach Prevost rushing for 134 yards on 21 carries and a touchdown. For the first time all year, the Jags had a nice balance of pass and run; 185 passing and 182 rushing.

The Volunteers are coming off of a 51-14 loss to Madison in which they gave up over 500 yards of total offense and only had 139 of their own. The Jags are looking for a strong finish to their season and their second victory in as many years over the Volunteers. With a win Friday night, it would give the Jags their second district win of the season and their fourth win overall.

The Jags have 25 seniors who will play their last game of their high school football career. It’s ‘Senior Night’ and will be the last time some of these players will ever put on a football uniform.

“I’m really going to miss it,” said senior linebacker Garrett Blucher, “This will be my 30th varsity game, and I’ve loved every minute of it.”

This weeks game is on Friday, November 5, 2010 at 7:30 p.m. at Comalander Stadium.