Volleyball playoffs; the annual trip

by Tyler Otten | staff writer

Update: Playoffs round 2 vs. Brennan

6:30PM at Paul Taylor Gym

With a 25-10 record (8-3 district), the Jags are preparing for their annual playoff appearance starting next week. With the 500th win for Coach Nicole Blakeman and first place finishes in both tournaments this year, the Jags have had a very prosperous season.

“This year has been awesome. The Pearland tourney was a ton of fun and we had a big win in the Northeast tournament. I made so many memories this year that I will never forget,” junior Addie Bryant said.

With the last 2 seasons ending after the first round, it seems unsure whether or not the third time’s the charm.

“Of course it’s tough to have a great season and then go out after the first round. This year will be different,” senior Shelby Walker said.

Team Huddle
The JHS Varsity volleyball team prepares for their game.

Even though the Jags suffered two losses to second place district rival, Churchill, and one loss to first place team Reagan, the Jags came up with a big mid-season win against Reagan, giving a much needed confidence boost.“It was awesome beating Reagan. especially since they finished first, we know we are capable of beating any team, as long as we play together,” Walker said.

Volleyball requires communication, skill, talent, and most importantly teamwork. When the Jags get this mix just right, they are tough to beat.

“When we played Reagan we played the best we have all season. We had our blocks, we had our hits, the communication was there. It was probably the best game of our season. If we play like we did against them we will win in the playoffs,” Walker said.

The Jags will either face New Braunfels or Canyon early next week. Two quality teams that will test the Jag’s ability to compete.

“If we all work together and play the way I know we can, I think we can go all the way,” senior captain Brittany Muller said.