What to watch over this Thanksgiving break

By Tony Johnson | Arts & Entertainment Editor

It’s that time of year again. Families all over America will be gathering around the dinner table, expressing what they’re thankful for and eating to their hearts’ content. Though Thanksgiving only lasts one night, there is over a week of break to enjoy. Whether you’re out of town with family or have nothing else to do but make sandwiches with the left over turkey and ham, we review some new films- out Thanksgiving week- that may be fun to watch with others as you all digest that big meal.

Burlesque

Christina Aguilera’s acting debut and Cher’s return to movies are set to surpass the low expectations of Burlesque, given the miniscule success and poor reception of the original film it is based on. The musical follows Aguilera’s character, Ali Rose, as she travels Los Angeles to pursue her dreams of dancing, singing, and show biz. She finds all this and more at a “neo-burlesque” club run by Cher’s character, Tess. Though many similar movies have preceded it, a strong supporting cast, including Stanley Tucci, Cam Gigandet, and Kristen Bell, provides a sturdy base for this PG-13 flashy musical, whic director Steve Antin promises to be an escape.

Tangled

For families with little ones who have already tired of hearing the Megamind song over and over again, Tangled is sure to bring something new to the table this Thanksgiving. The PG-rated Disney animated feature introduces a new take on the classic story of Rapunzel by adding adventure, love, and a different “moral of the story” into the mix. With Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi lending their voices to the film, it’ll be a fun 3D ride for couples and families alike.

Love and Other Drugs

Heart-throb Jake Gyllenhaal and the flawless Anne Hathaway reunite on screen for the first time since the controversial Brokeback Mountain in Edward Zwick’s Love and Other Drugs. It is about the creation of a little pill called Viagra, but much like The Social Network, that discovery is just a backdrop for the characters who contribute to and live around that discovery. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a pharmaceutical rep who falls for Anne Hathaway, an ill-inflicted but spontaneous woman who he just can’t let go of. Though its R-rating makes it too risque for some, it has the same themes as other celebrated movies, like Up In the Air and Jerry Maguire, but promises an original spin by director Edward Zwick and co-screen writer Charles Randolph.

127 Hours (Highly Recommended!)

Danny Boyle’s latest cinematic escape, 127 Hours, is based on Aron Ralston’s memoir Between a Rock and a Hard Place. The tale follows hiker Aron Ralston, played by James Franco, as he ventures out into “Canyonland, USA” in Utah. However, he is a loner, and when he slips and falls into a crevice and gets his arm pinned by a boulder, no one knows where he is. Though the actual event happened back in 2003, Aron Ralston’s memoir is a timeless record of perseverance and courage, and the movie is already considered a classic and Boyle’s greatest achievement. Though most of the story plays out beside said ‘hard place’, the films promises as much intensity as any run-of-the-mill thriller, with a deep story to boot. Though it’s not for the squeamish due to a certain graphic scene, it’s one of the best reviewed and most inspiring films of the year. If it expands to play at a theatre near you, go see it without hesitation.