The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

Maze Runner: The Death Cure delivers action packed series finale

by Jeremy Reyes | staff writer

Maze Runner: the Death Cure is the third and final installment in the Maze Runner franchise.  The movie was released on Jan 26, and was directed by Wes Ball. Now that the basic info is out of the way, let’s push on with the review

It’s been awhile since I saw the previous movies, so I went into this one barely remembering anything. I was expecting to be confused by everything that took place, but that was not the case. Everything was relatively easy to follow. The whole movie was filled to the brim with action, so I thoroughly enjoyed watching that.

The guy who played Janson, Aidan Gillen, was the perfect choice for the main antagonist. I don’t know what it is about him, but something about how he sounds and acts just screams “perfect villain”. Other than him, two other people who played their roles perfectly were Dylan O’Brien, who played Thomas, and Thomas Brodie-Sangster, who played Newt. I felt both of them portrayed their characters to the max. There is also a final battle scene near the end that reminded me of the game “Fallout”. I think it was because of the post-apocalyptic theme of the whole series and the zombies.

Now for the ever dreaded negatives, I felt that there were some really stupid sequence of events that could of been avoided if some of the characters did things differently. Don’t just stand there and watch a building fall when you have the perfect opportunity to save yourself. Also, why is everyone so self-sacrificial?  For once instead of hearing “go on without me” I want to hear “Take me with you”.

Apparently this movie got a 45% percent on Rotten Tomatoes.  I think the reason why this website gave it a low score is because people are upset that it “didn’t follow the book.” I personally haven’t read the book, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that this was a good movie.

And now my oh so important final thoughts- I thought Maze Runner: the Death Cure was a pretty good movie. It was nice to see a good movie break the cycle of bad movies that usually start the beginning of the year. Aside from a few discrepancies of logic by some of the characters, I thoroughly enjoyed the action sequences, story, and the top-tier acting.