The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

Jags Outrun Broncos In Season Opener

Jags Outrun Broncos In Season Opener

by Madelyn Carter

Sports Writer

The Johnson Varsity football team had their first game Friday, August 27, and started off the season with a monumental win. Even though it took the team until the last seconds of the first half to take a 7-0 lead, they held on for a 21-14 win.

The Jags showed great defensive strength throughout the game with big hits from junior Jacob Lady- Schrieber, senior Zack Bradley, junior Garret Hunt, and senior Zach Prevost, as well as 6 tackles from senior Mario Verrett, and 10 tackles from senior Garrett Blucher.

Marvin Smith showed flashes of greatness as he powered through the Bronco defense on his way to a 21- yard touchdown run in the second quarter. Quarterback Trey Garcia not only gave preciseĀ  passes to his receivers, but also ran like the wind for a 42- yard touchdown in the third quarter.

The moment that got every fan in the stands on their feet came in the middle of the third quarter, when Cohner Mokry received a snap and threw it to Trey Garcia, who then fired a rainbow down to a wide open Sean Stier for a 44-yard score.

The Jags came into the 4th quarter with a demanding 21-0 lead, and shortly had to turn on the defense as the lead slimed to just a touchdown by the 7:18 mark. Big tackles, and a quarterback sack at the 50 yard line by Evan Miller and Garrett Hunt gave the Jags the motivation to finish out the game with a win, and start the season off right.