Course selection available for students this month

Course selection for 2024 will open up to students in the near future. 

The school’s annual course fair will be on January 22 at 6 p.m. Current students and incoming freshmen will be able to ask questions about the different electives such as athletics, arts, and world languages offered at the school. 

The first thing we do is as the AP for curriculum and all the counselors and the deans we meet together and make sure these are the courses we want to talk to kids about i.e. ‘How do we direct a teacher that’s in 10th grade, what would you recommend for those students?’,” assistant principal Sara Moseley said. “Then we present that to the middle school counselors as well so that they can help guide students, but on January 19, in classes during will have an extended second period so that a presentation can be shared with students giving them all the instructions on how the course selection will roll out how they select those and important information that they’ll have.”

Once they have a better idea of what they want the next school year to look like, they can select their courses through Skyward, the same medium they use to check their grades. In terms of courses available, there are a few courses students should anticipate to fill up right away.

“So our most favorite or most popular we often have waiting lists for ASL- We often have waiting lists for Japanese and computer science, some of our CAD courses,” Moseley said. “There’s only so many times we can offer it so sometimes those fill up very quickly and something new this year is Sports Med. So those are athletic trainers, and that fills up very quickly too.”

On the other hand, some classes need more enrollment to make sure the program is able to continue to be offered.

“There’s always that risk. We try really hard because sometimes when we’re building interest in a course it has a small amount of students,” Moseley said. “So we want to try but we have requirements that are usually a minimum of 15 students, because teachers have so many students per class, but if it doesn’t [work] we let those students know and their counselors work with them on another elective.”

According to Moseley, the district is looking at an additional biology course and constantly adds social studies classes. However, it will be mostly the same as previous years.

“I would recommend you pick your courses that you really want first and put your alternatives as those backups. But if there’s any changes, students can still go see their counselors,” Moseley said.