Campus policy has students watching the clock

Junior Berkeley Waters anxiously waits until the restroom pass comes back. But now it’s ten minutes until the bell rings so it looks like she has to wait until next period. 

Per campus policy, students are not allowed to go to the restroom for the first and last 10 minutes of class. According to principal Gary Comalander, the first 10 minutes are important for teachers to get their lessons started without any interruptions. Once the teachers have their lessons going, students can then go during the 30 minutes of class. 

“It’s always been effective,” principal Gary Comalander said. “The first 10 minutes of class is constantly someone coming in – and it just takes forever to get people caught up with where they’re at.”

According to some students, the first or last 10 minutes of class would seem to be the most opportune time to use the restroom.

“I don’t like the ten minute rule because it’s literally the middle of class when you’re trying to learn, not the beginning of class,” Waters said. “I’d rather use the bathroom during those 10 minutes and not during the passing period.”

Using the restroom during class time can be difficult as students wouldn’t want to miss class time. 

“I think it’s a little bit more restricting, and I feel like the five minute rule was better than the ten minute rule,” sophomore Kelly Roach said. “I just feel like maybe in a different classroom, they didn’t have a lot of time to go.”

And of course, students are quick to point out that classes are far apart, making it difficult to use the restroom and not be tardy.  

“For me, in second period, I come from the portables into third period, and it’s just like I always get in by the bell,” Roach said. “So when I have to use the restroom, I have to wait another 10 minutes, and it’s like, my God, I really gotta go.”

So while the rule is convenient for minimal interruptions during instructional time, for students it’s not always ideal.

“I have to go during the passing period and then I walk in the bathroom and it’s jam packed and I have to wait like 3 minutes and then I’ll be late to my class,” Waters said. “So I just don’t go.”