Rare total eclipse less than a week away

District to provide glasses, plan for the solar eclipse

For the first time in over 600 years, Texas will experience a total solar eclipse on the 8th of April around 1:30 in the afternoon. This anomaly will take place where the sun will be completely blocked by the moon, for five minutes.

“We’ve had a couple in the last few years, but then it’s been 10 or 12 years since before that. So this one’s not as common as a lunar eclipse is a solar eclipse. So it’s not as common as a lunar eclipse,” Earth and Science teacher David Gueldner said. “The sun is going to dim very much.”

With the right glasses, you’ll be able to see that the sun will be completely covered by the moon, dimming light in the area for a small amount of time.

“The earth will still have sunshine. It’ll still have a blue sky. Everything will be normal. But for a few minutes you’ll see that there’s something blocking the sun that you can’t see,” Gueldner said.

While NEISD has posted on their website that a plan is forthcoming, the campus is still waiting on specific details.

“We are currently working on a plan, and we’ll share it by Monday,” Comalander said. 

Becuase of donations, every student on campus will be given a pair of sun protection glasses, to look at this eclipse in real time without harm.

“We’ve gotten another donation from the district where now we should have one for everyone, as opposed to the ‘let’s share’ ideal,” Comalander said.

These goggles are the key to catching the rare event with your own eyes.

“If you’re looking at it with protective goggles, you’ll see that, you know, the sun is being blocked by the moon,” Gueldner said. “If the school doesn’t all go out together, I’m going to go take my students out.”