Boehler’s: serving up more than just traditional “essen”

The 'heavenly' Guinness Car Bomb dessert at Boehler's restaurant.

by Emily Moore | Staff Writer

In the realm of downtown San Antonio, there stands a distinctive tilted white building that is home to Boehler’s restaurant. Boehler’s (pronounced “baylor’s”, not “bowler’s”) gained its unique tilt from the Great Flood in 1921, when water filled the second story of the building and caused the wood to dry at an angle.

The building has been owned and operated by the Boehler family since 1891, when German immigrant Fritz Boehler quit his job at the Pearl Brewery and opened up his own restaurant. The name has changed a few times – it was previously called Liberty Bar – but is still Boehler-owned nonetheless.

A rich history is not the only thing that  defines Boehler’s. It also offers an assortment of traditional German dishes, with classic southern twists.

If it’s German you’re looking for, try the delicious and purely-German bratwurst and sauerkraut. Served with fried German potatoes, this dish is nothing short of what you’d expect from someone born under the black, red and yellow.

Don’t get me wrong, fancy klieding is far from necessary. Boehler’s also has creative and unique dishes that are exploding with all the comfort you’ll ever need. My trusty and informative waiter, Jordan, recommended the pork schnitzel with raspberry chipotle sauce. Jordan sure knows what he’s talking about. The raspberry sauce perfectly complimented the salty elements of the pork, and the mashed potatoes were light and fluffy.

Now, it wouldn’t be German without a little something to disturb the peace, and the Guinness Car Bomb is just the ticket. Before you freak out, and buy protective armor for your trusty vehicle, know that the Car Bomb is Boehler’s signature chocolate desert, a moist chocolate gift from heaven filled with melted chocolate and swimming in a rich Guinness and chocolate sauce. Dusted simply with powdered sugar, it is perfection.

The next time you’re in the mood for some deep German roots, rich heritage, or great food, head on down to the tilted white building. You’ll know it when you see it.

View Comments (2)