The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

Girls soccer to advance to next level

by Zack Cohen | Sports Writer

Soccer has experienced unprecedented success leading into this year's state competition.

Johnson’s girls soccer team defeated their cross-city rival Tuesday night when they beat Reagan 2-0. Senior Jazma Latu was responsible for both of the Jags goals; one in each half. The first goal was scored at the 21:26 mark of the first half when senior Megan Hinojosa, dribbling down the right side of the field, crossed the ball right to Latu who headed it in and gave the Jags a 1-0 lead. The second score came early in the second half when a determined Latu dribbled the ball into the goalie box; she lost possession but regained it again just in time to put it in the net, giving the Jags a commanding 2-0 lead. Although Reagan saw many opportunities to cut into the lead, they were unsuccessful in doing so and the Jags walked off the field victorious.

The girls will leave Thursday morning to travel six hours to continue their championship chase in Brownsville. The team will play McAllen on Friday at noon, and if they win that game, will continue on to play again on Saturday against an undetermined opponent. This year’s team is the first in girls soccer history to make it past the third round in the playoffs. However, according to sophomore midfielder Madelyn Carter, they’re not satisfied just yet.

“Playoffs bring out the best in teams. It was our turn to beat Reagan, and we’re ready to take it to the next level in the Regional Tournament,” she said.