Year in Review: Johnson Athletics

Year in Review: Johnson Athletics

by Zachary Cohen | Sports Editor

This year, Johnson has seen many successes in the athletic arena. Below are summaries of each team’s season.

Fall:

Football: 4-6 (2-4) The team started off 2-0 and then went on a 6-game losing streak until finally getting its 3rd victory of the year against rival Reagan. The victory over Reagan marked the first time in school history that the Jags defeated the Rattlers. A somewhat disappointing season did end on a high note, however, when Johnson beat Lee in the final game of the season: 56-6.

Tennis: They started the season 8-0 and ended up with a 15-4(6-3) record.

Volleyball: They started off with a 12-5 record and ended up with a 31-10 (9-3) record. They also won three post-season games before losing to MacArthur in the Regional Quarterfinals.

Winter:

Boys Basketball: The boys ended the season on a 7-game losing steak, finishing with a 14-20 (3-9) record.

Girls Basketball: The girls started out 12-6 and ended up with a 19-14 (4-8) record.

Boys Soccer: The team started out 6-2-3 before going 1-9 in the last 10 games of the season, and ended up with a 7-9-5 (2-7-3) record.

Girls Soccer: The team started off 4-0 before losing its first game to The Woodlands. The girls finished the season with a 18-6-3 (7-2-3) record and became the first school team to make it to state.

Spring:

Baseball: The team posted an impressive 20-10 record on its way to playoffs. The season ended when they lost in the third round of the UIL State Playoffs.

Softball: The team posted an impressive 22-6 record and won a perfect 12-0 in district play.

Track and Field: The highlight of the season was sending three runners to state. The team also made history this year as JV Boys, JV Girls, Varsity Boys, and Varsity Girls all won district titles in their divisions.