The Student News Site of Claudia Taylor Johnson High School

My Jag News

My Jag News

My Jag News

Gamers go gaga for latest Call of Duty installment

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 hits the market.

by Nicholas Casarez| Staff Writer

November 8, 2011, the game release date almost every guy (even some girls) have marked on their calendars. The release of “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3”, often referred to as MW3, has arrived and it’s got kids and adults everywhere excited. There’s a lot of anticipation for this game as it’s following the last game in the franchise, “Call of Duty: Black Ops”. “Black Ops”, which sold 5.6 million copies in a mere 24 hours, set a record for the largest entertainment launch to date. Modern Warfare 3 is anticipated to eclipse those sales and blow gamers’ minds.

“I’m really excited for the new game, I’ve been waiting for it to come out for forever now,” senior Sam Valdez said.

The release of this game has many kids mentally preparing themselves to emerge themselves completely in the game, even if that means a complete absence of a social life.

“I’m not planning anything for the next couple weeks, I think I’m going to go into social submission. I may even have to ignore my girlfriend,” junior Xavier McElhannon said.

These confessions by many of the guys at Johnson have got friends, and mainly girlfriends, very worried.

“I’m dreading the release of this stupid game. All it means is my boyfriend is going to ignore me for two weeks and no matter where I go all I’m going to hear about is Call of Duty,” junior Madalyn Nally said.

There’s added excitement due to the fact that Infinityward, the creator of Modern Warfare 2, is the head developer for MW3. This is a relief because Treyarch, who developed Black Ops, had many people disappointed in the end product, despite what the sales say.

“Infinityward is definitely my favorite developer, it was way better than the other companies Call of Duty has tried,” junior Austin Hinojosa said.

With the return of Infinityward, there’s also the return of what gamers call “quickscoping”. Quickscoping is a special method of shooting in Call of Duty, and is something many gamers missed in Black Ops.

“I can’t wait to start quickscoping again. It’s really a way to seperate the good players from the mediocre ones,” junior Graham Nelson said.

With all of the improvements and the excitement for the possibilities, MW3 is bringing hype like few other things have before.

“I have never been more excited for a video game in my entire life,” junior Devin Graves said.