Jags vanquish the Chargers for another district win

by Madelyn Carter

Sports Writer

The excitement on the faces on the crowd was nothing compared to the look on the players faces as the varsity volleyball team finally defeated the Churchill Chargers. The 1st match began with a Churchill defense that could not withstand the aggressive spikes from seniors Analise Shannon and Hannah Hornsby. Quick digs from junior Ayssa Garcia stopped the Chargers’ comeback and led the Jags to  25-21 win for the 1st match.

The second match showed to be a heavy offensive attack from the Chargers that found holes in the Johnson defense, ending in a 25-17 win for Churchill.

Johnson didn’t let this set back get in the way of their determination in 3rd match. Junior Carnae Dillard led Johnson with powerful spikes and forceful blocks that diminished the Charger’s hope for another match win. Senior Hannah Hornsby came through for the match point as the Jags won 27-25.

The fourth and most exciting match was dominated back and forth by both teams. Johnson’s defensive wall and effective spikes got the crowd on their feet as the victory they’re so badly been working towards was in arm’s reach. As hard as the Chargers pressed on, the Jags held out for the win, 25-20, ending the game by winning 3 of 4 matches.

Johnson will use this victory as motivation as they take on the Rattlers this Friday at 7 p.m. at Littleton Gym.

[cincopa AwKASRa8fvtI]