Swimming enters final heat

by Samuel Abbas | sports editor

In a sport that requires so much physical and mental capacity, swimmers must be prepared to complete practices and participate in events throughout the season. This may vary depending on if the student is on the JV or Varsity team, but everyone is still a part of a single aquatics team. 

“We normally practice every day at Blossom Athletic Center for about two hours in the morning and two hours again at night. It really takes a lot out of you physically and mentally, especially if you aren’t used to it,” senior Sierra Stewart said.

Swimming seems entirely different when compared to team sports like football, basketball, or volleyball. The main focus is competing against your own time, and possibly trying to beat your personal record (PR).

“In swimming we all try for the best time so it’s different from other sports. It’s more of an individual sport that a team because we all compete by ourselves against different times and try to be the best,” Stewart said.

From freshman to senior year many swimmers who were even on varsity for four years still seem to notice changes and improvements in their style and in competitions. Overall, swimmers just want to do whatever is necessary to have the lowest possible time.

“I think just from learning what I needed to do to get better is how I improved my times over the past four years,” Stewart said.

Swimming may be a leisure activity for some but for senior Rebekah Poe, it is more of a lifestyle and has helped her develop a positive work ethic because of her good habits in swimming.

Swimming makes me want to try harder in everything I do because of the hard work and dedication I have to put into swimming to be successful. This dedication reflects in all of the other activities I participate in and it makes me who I am,” Poe said.

Some people really have a peak season their junior or senior year that helps them receive more recognition for their swimming careers. Some people have been competing in this sport for a long time so in the end, it makes it worth their while.

“This is my fourth year doing swimming at Johnson but I have also done swimming outside of school. I feel like this year could be my best but I just need to go out and try my hardest every time so I can get the best time,” senior Nicolette Wickes said.”

With 4 different swimmers placing in the top 5 at Regionals, the Jags have once again had a successful season. The girls relay teams also won 6th,7th,8th place respectively in the 200 Medley, 400 freestyle and 200 freestyle.

“Overall I think we had a pretty good season. Everyone worked hard all year long and in the end we all did pretty good at the Regional meet. We are excited and happy for what we have accomplished,” Wickes said.