Inside Netflix’s international goldmine

Lauren Loveless | staff writer

Netflix is known for its creative original TV shows and movies, which has given the video streaming platform quite the identity. However, viewers tend to ignore a completely different side of Netflix, which features unique and beautiful titles: international content.  International movies and shows come in an abundance on Netflix, but unfortunately are less popular and disregarded.

While superhero movies and cheesy rom coms are entertaining, international movies bring a whole new flavor into the mix. Rather than sticking to the cliche, a lot of international shows challenge social norms and stray from simply “feel good” titles.

These seven Netflix international features will have you viewing the movie industry differently-in a good way of course.

1) Strong Girl Bong-Soon

Synopsis: A woman born with superhuman strength is hired by the CEO of a gaming company, to be his bodyguard.

Review: With twists and turns along the way, Strong Girl Bong-Soon features comedy, mystery, action, and romance mashed together to create one amazing TV show. You’ll find yourself cooing as the two main characters discover their feelings and holding your breath as the crime mystery develops, following the footsteps of a maniacal kidnapper. The episodes of the show are unusually long, so snuggle up in your favorite blanket and grab some popcorn, because you’re in for a wonderful treat.

Production location: South Korea

Genre: Mystery, romance, comedy, and action

Rating: TV-14

Watch trailer here

2) Mary and The Witch’s Flower

Synopsis: Ordinary girl Mary picks an extraordinary flower and travels to Endor College, a school for magic. But its foremost teachers have a sinister plan.

Review: Featuring light-hearted magic and a slow building plot, Mary and The Witch’s Flower sharply contrasts to most films in the fantasy industry. You’ll find yourself falling in love with the adorkable main character, Mary, and appreciating the lovely graceful graphics. This movie is perfect for young audiences and people simply looking for a gentle movie.

Production location: Japan

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: PG

Watch trailer here

3) Esteros

Synopsis: A decade after being seperated, childhood friends Matias and Jeronimo reconnect as adults and find that their mutual attraction hasn’t faded.

Review: Most films featuring homosexuality are dramatic and angsty, however, Esteros is beautiful and displays pure love. The movie goes between the viewpoints of the main characters younger selves discovering their attraction for one another and their present selves accepting their mutual love. Sparks fly in a subtle way during the entirety of this short but sweet film.

Production location: Brazil

Genre: Romance and drama

Rating: TV-MA

Watch trailer here

Man carries his daughter through train while chased by zombies

4) Train to Busan

Synopsis: As a zombie outbreak sweeps the country, a dad and his daughter take a harrowing train journey to reach the only city that’s still safe.

Review: If you enjoyed The Walking Dead then you are sure to love this zombie thriller/horror movie. Train to Busan features psychological and gory horror, which has you biting your nails all throughout the film. However, not only is the horror exciting, the plot for the film is intelligent and detailed. So strap yourself down, because Train to Busan is a wild ride.

Production location: South Korea

Genre: Horror, suspense, and thriller

Rating: TV-MA

Watch trailer here

Woman looks up at bald man

5) Amelie

Synopsis: When impish Amelie finds a long-hidden trove of toys behind a baseboard in her apartment, she’s inspired to return items to their original owners.

Review: The perfect word for this movie is quirky. The main character, Amelie, is a creative optimistic who enjoys playing pranks, but in reality is very shy. Throughout the film the love interests play a game of cat and mouse, who eventually end up together, putting Amelie’s quirkerness aside. The pace of the movie is not for everyone, however if you can handle a few boresome moments, you’ll be able to fully appreciate the beauty of this whimsical fim.

Production location: France

Genre: Romance

Rating: R

Watch trailer here

Teenage girl's face is gripped by a demon whose finger slips into her left eye

6) Veronica

Synopsis: During a solar eclipse, young Verónica and her friends want to summon the spirit of Verónica’s father using an Ouija board. However, during the seance she loses consciousness and soon it becomes clear that a evil demon has arrived.

Review: To be honest, the movie is not all that scary, there are only a few select moments that make you flinch. However, the plot is well structured and has a deeper meaning, which makes you fear for the main character. This is a good movie for those who can’t handle hard core horror, but still want a good chill.

Production location: Spain

Genre: Horror, thriller

Rating: TV-MA

Watch trailer here

7) Broadchurch

Synopsis: After a young boy is murdered in the small seaside town of  Broadchurch, local detectives Ellie Miller and Alec Hardy are assigned to a mysterious case.

Review: The show starts off slow, but gradually picks up pace as the viewer learns more about the mysterious death and the secrets within the town. With sparks of romance along the way and dramatic tension, the show keeps you guessing through its’ short three seasons.

Production location: Britain

Genre: Drama and mystery

Rating: TV-MA

Watch trailer here